POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : His bear, my fur (90 K) : Re: His bear, my fur (90 K) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: His bear, my fur (90 K)
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 6 Mar 1999 16:29:40
Message: <36E19E92.E46E008F@fv.aetec.ee>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> Here's my contribution to the teddy-bear collection. The teddy is from the
> Moray site (thanks for the pointer, Ken) and the fur is my doing. It's kinda
> sparse, but I didn't want a long render (this one was ~30 minutes at 640X480
> AA 0.3 and took 69MB of memory)
> I will now post the first version of my fur generator to text.scene-files.
> Note that it requires the Superpatch.
> Comments, suggestions and questions are welcome!
>
> Margus
>
>  [Image]

Super!
This is really (photo)realistic! More and more posts in this NG seem to
deserve place in "Hall-Of-Fame" (including this one) and pushing CG
limits quite far. I have "The Book of CG" ("Computer Graphics,
Principles and Practice" by Foley, Dam, Feiner, Hughes) and I remember,
that when I bought it (3-4 years ago) then I looked at the pics in this
book and thought "Wow". Now most of the RT techniques, described there,
could be used in PovRay and pictures in that book seem to be really
primitive.

Suggestion: use "back-hair culling" - don't create those fur hairs,
which are not seen. I don't know, whether this is done already and how
hard is to do this, but it may provide more hair for camera direction.
Anyway, for this picture it is quite enough, much more won't add
anything (IMHO).