POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Povray Bug..?? : Re: Povray Bug..?? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:37:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray Bug..??
From: Ken
Date: 6 Mar 1999 00:22:00
Message: <36E0C4DD.80932FC1@pacbell.net>
Morpheus Dreamlord wrote:

> I think I've found a VERY annoying bug in Povray 3.1d (unless it's
> already been found..LOL)
>
> It occurs during parsing, and seems to happen after a number of #while
> .... #end commands.
>
> Povray errors out with a message that it can't understand what "-" (or
> "d") is. It seems to skip about 20 odd characters after the #end, then
> resumes parsing...  eg - (NOT real code, but came from a Titanic
> animation I'm trying to do)
>
> #end
> #declare Tit-Hull=union{sphere
>
> This will error out will a message about "p" (in sp*here) being
> undefined.
>
> As you can imagine, I now can no longer render some of my files.
> Does anyone have version 3.1c anywhere?

If you are really trying to use a " - " as a part of your declared
object name then you will get and error. Perhaps you should be
recieveing a different warning but I think what is happening is that
Pov goes through the loop until it processes all of the interations
and then starts looking for directions on how to proceed. At this
point it has been parsing for quite a while and then it hits a
directive from you to subtract Tit from Hull and starts looking for
the definition of the terms. Using Tit-Hull is an illegal operation
because the minus sign is a reserved symbol. You should instead use
an underscore like this #declare Tit_Hull = whatever .

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net