POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Watch another watch (+24KB) : Re: Watch another watch (+24KB) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watch another watch (+24KB)
From: Ken
Date: 5 Mar 1999 22:36:46
Message: <36E0AC30.508FE438@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Pretty sure the totally black POV-void is responsible, at least in part,
> for the look. I've added a "room" to enclose it in now and put it under
> glass too (display dome). Looks like I'm going to need a less bright
> texture now though, not sure. Actually the real thing is gold plated and
> almost coppery in appearance to my eyes, indoors anyhow. The gold outer
> layer has rubbed away partially at the swing ring (where chain
> connects).
> Will be posting it here sooner or later, it got real slow to render.

   A polished layer of copper then a layer of bright nickel are commonly
 used in metal finishing to add both luster and strenght to the soft
 and normaly dull gold plating that goes on after. Gold as it naturaly
 occurs has both poor abrasion resistance and lacks in visual brightness.
 The brightness seen in objects that have been gold plated actually
 comes from the color and properties of the nickel layer beneath the
 gold. You would think this could not happend but as it turns out the
 gold layer generaly is so thin that the nickel adds it's luster to
 that of the gold.
   And that's probably all you care to hear on that subject. Fine !

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net