POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A new twist on an old HF : Re: A new twist on an old HF Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new twist on an old HF
From: Ken
Date: 4 Mar 1999 15:22:25
Message: <36DEEAE3.F50F5D13@pacbell.net>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> This is a major advance in the use of HFs. It gives a truly real sense of
> landscape - I suspect the choice of HFs could be crucial to the final
> effect - the rather liquid section at the front looks rathe out of place but
> the stalactite? grooves are superb. Keep on with it - it has enormous
> potential.

  Agreed. One thing that many people overlook with height fields is the
incredibly low amounts of memory they use. I had one image I did that
had over 2000 HF's I was using as leaves on a tree. The memory his was
less that 20 megs. In a scene with 30-60 HF's it's well under 10 megs
and the render time is very fast because it is an internally generated
mesh object. Unlike the standard mesh object you can also perform CSG
operations on HF's which further adds to it's charm.
  Then comes the big bonus - looking at Mr. Kress's image posted today
you can see that it is also possible to recreate fine art using HF's.

  What an unsung hero the Hf object is. What glorious days loom ahead
for the nobel and unappreciated height field object. It's day is at
hand and all shall know it's utility and subtle power ere this
millennium is gone and past.

> In fact I might use the idea - with your permission of course:-)

Permission granted.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net