POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More caustics : Re: More caustics Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More caustics
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 1 Mar 1999 21:20:02
Message: <36DB4AC9.BDD9CEF7@Kopp.com>
Yes, I have not yet optimized this to minimize memory usage (I've been
focusing mostly on speed).  Each photon currently has two vectors (for
position and direction), and each of those vectors has three floats.
Then add color, some pointers for the kd-tree struct, and you've got
a fairly large memory structure.  I'm hoping to re-code some of the
kd-tree so I don't need pointers, and cram the direction vector into
two characters (phi & theta angles... but that might slow things down
because I'll have to decode those into another vector using sin & cos).

-Nathan