POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Did someone say fur? [40kB] : Re: Did someone say fur? [40kB] Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did someone say fur? [40kB]
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 25 Feb 1999 04:21:32
Message: <36D5161C.266E5D7B@peak.edu.ee>
Thomas Willhalm wrote:
/.../

> You can however add some turbulence to the function. This can result
> in hairs that point in different direction at different regions of the
> workpiece. Of course, you could also use a non-random function to
> change the direction.

Yes, that's basically what I meant - hairs not pointing straight up from
the surface normal. Also, how controllable is the shape of these hairs -
can they be bent etc? I did a quick search, but I couldn't find the paper
you mentioned. Could you provide a link to it?

> > And how long does it take to render?
>
> Between 8 and 17 minutes with a "336 MHz SUNW,UltraSPARC-II" CPU.
> The memory consumption is quite low. POV-Ray reports about 100 KB.

Well, I recently hit 450MB memory usage (250,000 objects - 50,000 hairs)
and a 2h/17h parse/render. So you most definitely have a superior method
in this respect.

Margus