POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : question about seed() and random() : Re: question about seed() and random() Server Time
6 Sep 2024 04:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question about seed() and random()
From: Ken
Date: 24 Feb 1999 09:31:35
Message: <36D40CC2.EF0E8BAF@pacbell.net>
bassompierre laurent wrote:

> I'm writing a pov file like this :
> #declare Obj=array[5]
> #declare Obj[0]=object{Myobject0}
> #declare Obj[1]=object{Myobject1}
> #declare Obj[2]=object{Myobject2}
> #declare Obj[3]=object{Myobject3}
> #declare Obj[4]=object{Myobject4}
>
> #declare R=seed(1);
> #declare C=1;
> #while (C<5)
>     object {Obj[int(rand(R)*4) Obj_Mod ....}
>     #declare C=C+1;
> #end
> The question is : will i get the same values for rand(R), each time i render
> my file ?

From my understanding of it yes it will always be the same until you
change the seed value. It offers random distribution for the values
you feed to it but as many people want predictable results once they
have found the right values it is not a floating random function.
  I know of no way to add a random float to rand either. It would be
nice if you could do a system read of the computers clock and add that
to the seed value but I'm not sure if this is possible.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net