POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : lavalamp [35k] : Re: lavalamp [35k] Server Time
4 Oct 2024 21:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lavalamp [35k]
From: Tim Glover
Date: 23 Feb 1999 13:22:51
Message: <36D2F277.7700@nettally.com>
Cool lamp! Nice static display.  A couple of things, tho.....

If the lamp's heated up (since blobs are active, I'd say this is a good
bet) then
the low-viscosity liquid (the "water") will have expanded until the
level is
up underneath the black top cap (At least on all the lamps I own).

Also, is the "water" clear?  It appears to be the same color as the
"lava".
In general, the two liquids are contrasting colors (the clear "water"
and
cobalt blue "lava" is cool, as is the classic yellow "water" and red
"lava")

As far as dynamic displays go, check the Navier-Stokes equations, then
immisicble flow equations, and forced convective flow. <grin>  I hope
you
like non-linear differential equations.

(Seriously, it's an experiment in HEAVY hydrodynamics, approximatley as
difficult as air flow through a supersonic jet engine. Good luck -- I've
toyed with it before....)

Again, cool pic!

Tim Glover
tgl### [at] nettallycom