POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Did someone say fur? [40kB] : Re: Did someone say fur? [40kB] Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did someone say fur? [40kB]
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 23 Feb 1999 05:03:13
Message: <36D27CE1.7EB163F6@peak.edu.ee>
Thomas Willhalm wrote:

> (Please excuse my bad English)
> In the current picture, the lighting model isn't correct. Consider a
> point P on the surface of a hair. The normal vector of the hair at P
> is _not_ used to determine the amount of light that travels from a light
> source to the eye. At the moment, only the directions from P to the light
> source and from P to the eye are used.
>
> Furthermore, I would like to vary the colour of the fur.
>
> Simply speaking, I want to apply a texture to a media.
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm

I kind of doubt you can apply the phong (or whatever) lighting model to
media, since media does not have surface normals. It is a volume effect and
doesn't even have a surface as such. But perhaps you know better.
You should be able to apply a standard colour pattern (bozo etc) to your
fur, probably by using muliple medias in a container. I haven't experimented
much with this, though, so I can't be sure.
If you use the superpatch you _might_ achieve the fur effect with a
isosurface, since you have apparently developed a function that gives this
hairy appearance. If so, you wouldn't need to worry about applying lighting
models and textures.
Oh, and about your furball - it really does look like fur. A bit
transparent, but that should be easy to fix. Can it also make hair at
different angles? And how long does it take to render?

Margus