POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : lavalamp [35k] : Re: lavalamp [35k] Server Time
4 Oct 2024 21:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lavalamp [35k]
From: Ken
Date: 19 Feb 1999 03:54:17
Message: <36CD2653.28F26198@pacbell.net>
Johannes Hubert wrote:

> It really looks good. I think the "not quite right" is because it looks like
> it is "off": The light looks like it comes from outside the lamp, not from
> the lamp (from its bottom part) itself...
> Maybe that is because the shading of the blobs is wrong? They don't look
> like being lighted from below. The also miss the "glowing" quality of the
> blobs in my lavalamp.
>
> Johannes.

I have pretty much the same impression. Of the 4 or 5 lava lamps I
have modeled, yes it's a reoccurring retro 60's thing with me, I have
buried a light source in the bottom just to illuminate the base
of the lamp and the glass where they meet. I rely on some diffuse
value for the blobs but more heavily on the ambient component. If
the ambient is high enuogh the colors of the blobs add to the glowing
effect. I have tried animating them but I can never get a nonrepeating
pattern to the blobs and still have them stay in the container.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net