POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another grass pic : Re: Another grass pic Server Time
5 Oct 2024 05:10:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another grass pic
From: Ken
Date: 17 Feb 1999 23:19:51
Message: <36CB947E.F720B2F5@pacbell.net>
Mark Palmquist wrote:

> Just a note, IBM's Pacific Blue posted 3.9 TerraFLOPs when running for Los Alamos
> Labs.  and
> I just saw a note about a computer that did 12 TerraOPs (4 bit intiger math NOT
> Floating point).  Port POV to Pacific Blue and I think most scenes would render in
> 20 Minutes or less, even 'STRIKE' at 1024x768 AA3, Focal blur and all lights
> converted to area lights!  It would be fun to watch it anyway.
>
> Just my 2 cents......

  I doubt the majority of scenes would take even 5 minutes with that
kind of power computational power to work with. Only in your last
examples would it start to slow down any. It would be nice to try
that 100,000 overlapping transparent spheres, with the max trace
level set to a few thousand, to see what would happen to it's render
speed.

  If given the opportunity to log on to one of the super dudes and render
your scene it would probably take longer to transfer the finished image
over a 28.8 modem than it would take the computer to render it.
Time to catch up on my back dues in the hackers guild :)

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net