POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shaggy the Hedgehog (~2*15K) : Re: Shaggy the Hedgehog (~2*15K) Server Time
5 Oct 2024 03:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shaggy the Hedgehog (~2*15K)
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Feb 1999 15:48:15
Message: <36CB2B35.94C7447A@fv.aetec.ee>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> An early test of a fur generator I'm working on (inspired by Ken's toupee
> image :) It's still a mess, but I'm quite happy with the results (i.e. I'm
> amazed that I finally got the thing to parse at all). It relies on the
> Superpatch's trace() function and currently works best with roughly
> spherical shapes (hence Shaggy looks like a furry loaf of bread)
> BTW, each hair is a "worm" shape from an earlier experiment. Here they
> consist of 3 segments with some randomness in shape/height/orientation.
> The second image shows Shaggy in a major headwind. Wind effects are sth.
> that I'm stil trying to improve.
> Better examples could probably be presented. But until then, any suggestions
> / comments?
>
> Margus

Kena!

I tried to create something like that (for hair approximation) by using
same approach (tracing to object's surface from its center) last year,
but failed miserably: it worked, but result was less than acceptable.
This was probably due to hair type: I used cones for fast results, but
looking Your picture, I realize that something more sophisticated works
much better. Now I know, what PovRay means: Persistence of Ray tracer
(in order to get good results). Unfortunately persistence is the very
thing, which seems to miss in my case :-( (in addition to time).
This approach (creating many, many objects) seems to give better results
in some cases than media: it will probably render faster and result is
more realistic. There was teddy bear, whose fur looked better than
anything before seen for hobbist range, but realism still lacked. I
tried to create hairs, using media, but again, I had not enough
persistence and result was not good.