POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Globe on Stand (37k) : Re: Globe on Stand (37k) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 21:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Globe on Stand (37k)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 15 Feb 1999 08:00:42
Message: <36C81A53.7E9C88E5@aol.com>
Sorry. I thought I was trying to be plain-talking since you had said you
just started. Been soooo long since I first started on POV-Ray, 4 going
on 5 years.
To put it another way:

The plane you used for a ground (or floor), since it stretches
infinitely in all directions, is causing a reflection in the stand which
matches the background exactly.
This is due to the same distances being reached by the plane, away from
and behind the camera, and the perpendicular (straight up from the
ground) stand.
So what I suggested is to perhaps keep this in mind and shorten one of
the directions (by quite a bit concerning this plane anyhow), presumably
the behind-camera direction since its not seen besides.
You would need to either use a very large, flat box alone or:

 plane {y,0 clipped_by {box{-1,1 scale <100,1,100> translate 50*z}} }

Well, anyhow, just wanted to relate to you the matched-up reflection
thing. It's all up to the maker to decide what they want. Hate to tell
you though, you're in for a lot of surprises good and bad. But it's fun
;-]