POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hair Ball ~ Aakch Patwoowie ! : Re: Hair Ball ~ Aakch Patwoowie ! Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hair Ball ~ Aakch Patwoowie !
From: Ken
Date: 15 Feb 1999 08:00:38
Message: <36C81A1E.D76F11D6@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Close to what my mother looks like after a new perm (one of my sisters
> is a licensed beautician or I wouldn't have known that word). You didn't
> clue us in on how this was made. I'm going to guess procedural texture
> instead of media or object-oriented.

2h 28min   - Render time 640x480 no AA
132,481    - Individual objects
98,081,934 - Peak memory used while rendering.

  100% proceedural object. It was modeled using 132,481 individual strands
of hair, which were lovingly hand created and positioned triangles. A group
of 20 triangles in a mesh made a small patch (.02 pov units square) which was
looped and randomly rotated into a larger patch (.25 pov units square). This
larger patch was then looped into it's present shape.
  It needs a little optimizing still but a proceedure has been established
and I see nothing but daylight at the end of the tunnel. In my first attempt
I tried using cones instead of triangles but the memory hit was so large that
I had to switch to a mesh object. I personaly thought the cones looked better
but there was no way I could get the coverage I need without overwhelming my
system's resources.

 To be perfectly honest with all you people out there this is the best damn
human hair model I have ever seen done proceeduraly in Pov-Ray. The gauntlet
has been thrown.  Are there any takers ?

P.S. If you ever render a scene with as many little tiny objects as this one
has do yourself a favor and remove any reflective objects that may be near
the little buggers. I swear it took longer for Pov to calcualte the reflections
of the hair off of the floor than it did the individual strands themselves.
The reflection value used on the floor was was only  0.05 but was enough to
add 50 minutes to the render time. You have been warned.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net