POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Area51 new version : Re: Area51 new version Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:13:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area51 new version
From: Ken
Date: 12 Feb 1999 05:02:11
Message: <36C3FBD6.22E0CBC8@pacbell.net>
gemelli david wrote:

> I agree that lights adjustments are necessary. The UFO near the buildings has to
> be
> modified. I wanted it to be more visible but, the "light addition" you explain
> make the lights
> too bright. I'll work on it.
> About the rendering time, is a light faster to render when it uses
> "fade_distance" ?
> Maybe it is the reason why it is still "fast" to render.
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
>                         David GEMELLI

  I have found using fade distance a fade power generaly slower in most cases.
At times a lot slower !

  Then again my use of these functions has been where there are many different
objects in the path of the light source specified that way. When this happens
pov has to calculate the different intereactions with the surface finishes
and colors for each level of light intensity along the path of the ray of
light from the source.

  I once noticed when I had a single light source with fade distance and power
specified inside of a room you could see intensity banding along the length of
the wall from where the camera and light was to the ends of the room.
I attribured this to the way Pov caluculates the formula for the function
believing that it is a stepped linear function instead of a smooth seemless
integration.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net