POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : HeightMap Problems : Re: HeightMap Problems Server Time
6 Sep 2024 04:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HeightMap Problems
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 11 Feb 1999 05:44:15
Message: <36C2B466.EE084D3@aol.com>
Black to white is low to high elevation. Pretty straight forward
concept.
So use gray scale images if it's a gif or any other 256 color image.
Also black to red (green and blue is considered same as black as I
understand it, the red component is all that's considered) if bmp, tga,
png, or other greater-than-256-color image.
Basicly, a heightfield is very unlike an image_map in that the palette
index numbers don't matter for a HF, yet they do for image_maps where
the colors don't follow the index neccessarily.
And your 100 pixel square image is not a good size for a mountain range,
if you don't mind me saying so, since scaled up to just 100 pov units
this will make angular artifacts in the heightfield 1 pov unit in size.
Seen at a distance to encompass much of this terrain these will be very
obvious. A 300x300 is still pretty small for most things but will
suffice, 600x600 is a fair size. I use these sizes typically anyhow, to
each his own though.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
 mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV