POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Feature/plugin Request .... : Re: Feature/plugin Request .... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature/plugin Request ....
From: Ken
Date: 10 Feb 1999 13:38:15
Message: <36C1D1DA.379FC52E@pacbell.net>
Simon de Vet wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>
> > Twyst wrote:
> > >
> > > How about cylinders/cubes/cones that you can define the endpoints of,
> > > instead of having to rotate & scale them?
> > > I can see a plugin that has just these normal primitives, but with a numeric
> > > entry :
> > >
> > > Cube - enter x1,y1,z1 and x2,y2,z2
> > > Cylinder - enter x1,y1,z1 ,  x2,y2,z2  , radius
> > > Cone - enter x1,y1,z1 ,  x2,y2,z2  , radius1, radius2
> > >
> > > It would make life MUCH simpler, as well as make cleaner code than taking a
> > > unit cylinder and scaling/rotating/translating.
> > >
> > > Twyst
> > > --
> > > povray.doc -- An engaging tale about a spanish guy named Manual.
> >
> > Are you trying to be funny or am I missing something here ?
>
> <snip>
>
> I think his point is for odd angles, and the such.
>
> If I want to connect the points 0,0,1 and 0,1,0 with a cyllinder or cone, it would
> lie on an angle. BUT, it would also have to have a length of [root 2].
>
> For other points to be connected, other lengths are needed.. and since Moray is a
> visual modeller, it would be nice to be able to do this without using a
> calculator.
>
> I've wanted this myself...
>
> Plus, for a cylinder , cone, or cube, the scaling is applied after the texture,
> resulting in an often distorted texture, unless you put the object into a group,
> and apply the texture to the group. For multiple items this is fine, but if you
> want to apply a texture to just one object, it's a bit irritating.
>
> Simon
> http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

Actually I did reply in haste. I thought this was the povray.windows
group. I understand the difficulties inherent in such a feature when
talking about modeling programs. I couln't believe Twyst didn't know
how easy it was to define end points in pov. My mistake and apologize
for the quick fire response. It does build good a argument for hand
coding though :)

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net