POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Native TAR archive support in POV : Re: Native TAR archive support in POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Native TAR archive support in POV
From: Carl Bartels
Date: 8 Feb 1999 21:44:54
Message: <36BFA11C.202E47C6@bravo436.chem.mcgill.ca>
I guess I missed something.  For the most part I don't see the point.
There are shell-out calls that you can use for this stuff in your ini
files.  I do it all the time for animations.  Most of what you described
can be done with pre- and -post -frame and -scene commands.

The cool thing is the idea of putting all the standard .inc files, etc.
into
one big file (kinda like a library file?)  But then you'd either have to
have
a double call (#include "textures.inc" from pov_official.jar vs.
#include "cooltext.inc" from funky_stuff.jar) or else still have a
library path
type thing, only make it intelligent enough to search through all the
.jar's,
tar's, tgz's, tar.gz's, tar.bz2's, .zip's and God knows what else people
might
come up with that is public domain.

It seems that most of what you want is already there with the
shell-outs, and
people can use whatever they have on their system that way.

But then, I've probably missed the point, as I often do.

My 2 Canadian cents worth.

--
Carl Bartels, Department of Chemistry, Mcgill University, to reply to
me,