POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dispersion patch : Re: Dispersion patch Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dispersion patch
From: Daren Scot Wilson
Date: 8 Feb 1999 22:00:40
Message: <36BF5E90.E057AD1F@pipeline.com>
> Make a scene with a perfectly clear, non reflecting but
> refracting sphere sitting on, say, a checker floor.
> Render it once with and once without dispersion and
> you'll notice that the dispersion version is slightly
> brighter...
> Could this be the common error made in the gamma-correction
> code?

No, actually, it's a sign that all the fundamental laws of logic, space and
time are falling apart. The physical universe as we know will cease to exist...

It is a bad thing that the dispersion patch has a hard-coded spectrum.  What we
need is user-defined spectra, and then I won't ever be troubled by such
questions.   And clever artists could then do some weird things.

Consider the average refractor telescope's objective lens, or lenses in any
optical instrument.  Normally these are made of two kinds of glass, for example
crown glass and flint glass, with different dispersions.  How to model this in
povray?

Lemme work on my IRTC entry, and in march I'll figure out how to allow
user-defined dispersions.   In the meantime I'll accept ideas, suggestions.

Later, for an encore, maybe I'll do birefringent materials and polarization...

--
Daren Scot Wilson
dar### [at] pipelinecom