POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dispersion patch : Re: Dispersion patch Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dispersion patch
From: Markus Becker
Date: 8 Feb 1999 05:21:45
Message: <36BEBB01.D94F1E73@zess.uni-siegen.de>
Daren Scot Wilson wrote:

> Just want to clarify some details.   The IOR in the dispersion patch is
> an exponential function of color number.  By color number, i mean i'm
> counting subrays that are traced, from 1 to disp_nelems.   In other
> words, each subray uses an IOR a certain ratio higher than the previous
> subray.

Ok, I understand that. So no _real_ dispersion :( (;-))

Another thing I noticed (sh*t that I didn't take the
POV source with me to demonstrate it):

Make a scene with a perfectly clear, non reflecting but
refracting sphere sitting on, say, a checker floor.
Render it once with and once without dispersion and
you'll notice that the dispersion version is slightly
brighter...
Could this be the common error made in the gamma-correction
code?

Markus
--

 Ich nicht eine Sekunde!!!" H. Heinol in Val Thorens