POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lighthouse Scene : Re: Lighthouse Scene Server Time
5 Oct 2024 11:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighthouse Scene
From: Ken
Date: 8 Feb 1999 00:56:25
Message: <36BE7C48.D2EBED3A@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> I see you're keeping the tilted lighthouse though ;)
> Spiders may be right, and maybe not. The beam crosses nearly
> perpendicular, I would suppose, to the observer due to the perspective
> camera angle. This would be seen as a much diminished beam at such a
> point. Are you using 'scattering' type 5? If not, you might want to try
> it out, and set 'eccentricity' to greater than 0.

The original lighthouse was posted by Darcy Johnston...

The tilting you see is only an illusion created by it's proximity to
the left side of the image demarcation line. The lighthouse wall has
a tapered edge. The image edge is straight. If you concentrate your
focus on the center of the screen instead of the lighthouse object you
will percieve it as verticaly straight. If you concentrate your focus
on the lighthouse object your eyes evaluate the angle of the lighthouse
in relation to the image edge and you are tricked into thinking the
lighthouse is tilted. Change your thinking, not the object, and you
will find there is nothing wrong with it's orientation.

Ken Tyler over and out.