POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Parse storage. : Re: Parse storage. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse storage.
From: Spider
Date: 3 Feb 1999 17:48:29
Message: <36B8D118.93A04984@bahnhof.se>
Alain CULOS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What you want is typically called a binary format in programming jargon.
> This binary format exists in custom versions of POV, i.e. POB. Don't ask me
> for a URL I did not store any and my memory ain't that good - but I did see
> it, I'm sure you can find it.
> My understanding is the POV team does not want to implement such a binary
> format because it involves difficult questions when you come to
> cross-platform portability. As well as that they claim it would not be a
> major advantage in terms of performance (parse+render time) in most cases.
> Besides their to do list is probably big enough not to add this low priority
> item - given the small ratio benefit/cost.

Hey !
Who said I wanted a binary format? (quiz)
No, I'd be glad with a ascii/ansi/unicode text file, why? because then I
could move one or two of the objects afterwards, as well as looking at
the results, searchin(ahem, ok, maybe not) for a way to improve.

As for performance, it depends on the scene, doesn't it ?

Well, out .

//Spider