POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Homeward Bound Yet Again [90k] : Re: Homeward Bound Yet Again [90k] Server Time
5 Oct 2024 01:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Homeward Bound Yet Again [90k]
From: Ken
Date: 1 Feb 1999 22:47:06
Message: <36B67518.134A1C56@pacbell.net>
Scott McDonald wrote:

> incorporating some suggestions from denizens of p.b.i and from friends
> at work, my getting close to being happy with and finishing tribute to
> pulp magazines and imaginary worlds.

I think the individual changes you have made have contributed
to a great improvement form the first.

I would like to offer a couple more suggestions for you to entertain.

Firstly:

The sky (in my opinion) needs a different color and a little
more work. It blends a little too smoothly with the rest of
the scene and a little contrast would help the viewer focus
more on the key elements.
 The "clouds" could use a little more work as well as they
appear like they have been painted on the sky. For a great
tutorial on making realistic skies with Pov-Ray I suggest
you take a look at Mike's "skies and water" tutorial at:

http://members.xoom.com/POVRAY3/

Secondly:

It has been discussed in the i.r.t.c. groups here on this server
about whether it is a good dicission to preview your work here
before the judging of the competition starts. Some feel it might
give unfair advantage from early exposure ( I disagree) and others
feel you may be harming yourself, by giving it too much exposure,
and risk getting a lower share of points. The reason for the last
view point is that people while initially impressed by an image will
become bored after seeing it a few times and may not give as high
a score as they might otherwise have.

It might be a good idea if you check out the i.r.t.c. groups
and read through the discussions. Then you can judge for yourself
what you feel about this practice. Personaly I would judge your
image by it's merits alone and not by when or where I have seen
it. Unfortunatly for you I am not the majority of the people.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet