POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Parse storage. : Re: Parse storage. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse storage.
From: Alain CULOS
Date: 3 Feb 1999 02:37:46
Message: <36B4E207.5C35A118@bigfoot.com>
Hi,

What you want is typically called a binary format in programming jargon.
This binary format exists in custom versions of POV, i.e. POB. Don't ask me
for a URL I did not store any and my memory ain't that good - but I did see
it, I'm sure you can find it.
My understanding is the POV team does not want to implement such a binary
format because it involves difficult questions when you come to
cross-platform portability. As well as that they claim it would not be a
major advantage in terms of performance (parse+render time) in most cases.
Besides their to do list is probably big enough not to add this low priority
item - given the small ratio benefit/cost.

Cheers,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.