POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) : Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) Server Time
5 Oct 2024 01:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k)
From: Ken
Date: 30 Jan 1999 20:52:09
Message: <36B3B727.C21540F1@pacbell.net>
Peter Popov wrote:

> Thank you guys for your comments!
>
> As it seems you don't like the focal blur. Me neither. I had to choose
> between a blurry or an aliased picture. I can see that blurring sucks,
> but I tried all my best to reduce aliasing and failed. I am now
> stretching a pleading hand to you. Here's the set-up.
>
> I am using Arabeske to create the tiles. The output is a 276x484 b&w
> image. A coloured version is used for a material_map and the b&w image
> is used as a basis for creating a grayscal height_field which is the
> repeating tileset pattern.
>
> Problem 1: A tileable material_map is no longer tileable if the
> interpolate option is used, and otherwise it's jaggy. What should I
> do?

Are we talking material maps or image maps ?

I never knew the interpolat function to be a problem.
I don't ever recall any problems with it anyway.

> Problem 2. The height_field image is too small and it looks aliased.
> Scaling it does not solve the problem, and drawing it by hand is not
> an option (I need this for a tutorial and "draw it pixel by pixel" is
> not the best thing to say to encourage a newbee to use a program).
> Again, what should I do?
>
> I will greatly appreciate any advice as this is the first picture of
> my own that I like at least a little and may also become my first
> complete scene (if you call a ball and a floor "a scene"). Reducing
> aliasing due to low-res height_field and material_map source images
> will also make a nice tutorial or at least a section in the VFAQ. If
> any of those two has been written I will be thankful if someone
> pointed out an url for me. TIA for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Peter

With regard to the height field problem the only suggestion I can
make is to give it a try in a HF program like Leveller. You can
preset the grid size before importing the image to be used as the
HF map. It may still have gridding even once imported into Leveller
but you can use the host of tools it has available to smooth out
the rough edges. It offers a user definable gaussian filter alogrithm
that works very well. Once fixed to your satisfaction you can export
a Pov compatible HF_Gray_16 image with the increase grid size you
choose.

I have tried manipulating "too small" images in a paint program
and the fact is if the number of pixels are not there in the
first place it is hard to replace them when you strech them over
a larger area.

Leveller:
http://www.daylongraphics.com/

--