POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Image size? : Re: Image size? Server Time
5 Oct 2024 01:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image size?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 28 Jan 1999 16:07:53
Message: <36B0D19A.4AC96945@aol.com>
Funny Spider didn't even mention 640x480 res. Far too common?
I like 640x480 myself, on average, since it is neither a preview-sized
320x240 nor a full-sized Windows wallpaper for 1024x768 displays.
I keep a 800x600 24-bit display on my monitor (could be 32-bit but
24-bit is common).
If you consider all out averages I would guess that 640x480 or 800x600
is the major choices then. Along with ~100K or less file (or ~150K
encoded).
Basically though, 320x240(200) is good, 640x480 best, 800x600 almost too
good. Reason being, larger (or smaller, meaning 160x120 esp.) files
probably should be uploaded elsewhere and not here.
Never really thought of guidelines on this before, just winging it
myself.
Perhaps a guideline should be made known and if it already has a pointer
to it. I sure didn't know of any such thing until GrimDude mentioned a 1
Meg limit on the binaries.animations.
Oh yeah, file type. Jpeg most definately holds the spotlight. Png *can*
be okay in my opinion as long as it holds to the other generalities. Gif
would be alright too, but seems no one likes dropping to 256 colors;
also Gif is not good at file-size when as large or larger than 640x480.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob