POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Fuzzy Reflections and frosted glass. : Re: Fuzzy Reflections and frosted glass. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fuzzy Reflections and frosted glass.
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 27 Jan 1999 00:52:56
Message: <36AEAA36.E2343237@Kopp.com>
This technique is known as 'monte-carlo ray-tracing' (used to be called
distributed ray-tracing) because of the randomness involved.

Somebody did implement a blury-reflections patch for POV.  You can find it
at the PatchStation... and I think it's part of the SuperPatch.
http://twysted.net/patchstation/

Blury refractions have not yet been implemented (afaik), but it would be
easy to extend the current patch to do this as you describe.

One thing:  most monte-carlo ray-tracers get information from an object's
BRDF to determine the amount of blur desired.  The BRDF (bi-directional
reflectance distribution function... or something like that) for POV is
made up of a combination of the diffuse, phong, specular, and reflect
components of the finish (along with the pigment).

For POV, though, I don't think it's necessary to use the BRDF to
determine the blur amount... a user-specifiable amount like you describe
would probably be adequate.

-Nathan