POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New and Improved Prison Cell pic : Re: New and Improved Prison Cell pic Server Time
5 Oct 2024 03:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New and Improved Prison Cell pic
From: Kyle
Date: 26 Jan 1999 12:05:42
Message: <36ADF5EE.DFEC21BE@geocities.com>
Adam J Cooper wrote:

>  Kyle,
>
> I really like the composition. What is your ambient set at? Everything
> looks too gray to me. Try something just for kicks: turn all of your
> ambient levels on the textures to 0 or really close to 0. This will
> really only leave you with light from the window and some on the bed,
> which isn't enough to define the scene. Perhaps an overhead lamp with
> a short fade distance would be good here, somewhere in a corner with a
> nice yellow tint. One of the things my eye doesn't like is the way I
> have to follow the patterns of the texture maps to judge the curvature
> of surfaces, rather than look at how the highlights and shadows of
> different light sources develop the same feel. In my opinion the
> latter is stronger and more realistic. Really good job, can't wait to
> see what else you do!
>
> ~Adam

Hey thanks for the lengthy critique.  To answer your question, I don't
think there's really any ambient light at all in the scene.  I'm pretty
sure it's only the emission value of the media that fills the room.  I'm
going to try a different camera angle, looking FROM the door at the back
of the cell.  I'm going to put a nightstand in the back corner, and
place a lamp on it with a soft yellow light.  I think that ought to look
pretty neat.  And I'll also up the ambient light so more of the scene is
visible.(I'm trying to keep it dark and eerie looking)  Thanks for the
input.  I'll post the revised edition soon.
                    Kyle