POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV-Ray Language : Re: POV-Ray Language Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Language
From: Ron Parker
Date: 15 Jan 1999 14:45:40
Message: <369f9ae4.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:06:10 -0600, James <bea### [at] compuvisionnet> wrote:
>What I was wondering was, what TYPE of language is it? Like there is a
>language named, "C++".  Is it similar to it or now even close?

POV script is a lot like BASIC in terms of its looping, conditional,
and assignment operations, except for the lack of GOTO and FOR.

Declaring objects and textures, though, isn't really like any other
language I can think of: each object type has a number of required
parameters with a required order, followed by a number of named
optional parameters, such as the water level on a height field,
followed by a number of globally recognized modifiers that work on
all objects, such as texture and transformations.  This part of the
process is declarative rather than procedural and so does not map
well to any procedural language like C or C++.  Perhaps if you would
tell us why this information is important, we could provide a better
answer.

Your best bet is to just get a copy of the documentation and read it,
or grab a few sample scene files and try to understand them.