POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : caustics & indirect lighting : Re: caustics & indirect lighting Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: caustics & indirect lighting
From: Ron Parker
Date: 13 Jan 1999 09:09:00
Message: <369ca8fc.0@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:20:41 -0600, Mike <Ama### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>Looking really good.  When I are we going to get to see how it works?
>
>I never got around to getting a postscript reader to read Jensen's paper
>on photon mapping.  Does it store the lighting values in the screen
>space or does it use maps for the objects in the scene?

Neither.  It stores them as points in a 3 dimensional lookup structure
independent of any objects in the scene but also independent of viewing
angle.  In Jensen's case, he uses a kd-tree.  Actually, Jensen has at
least three papers that apply to photon mapping.  All but his SIGGRAPH
'98 paper are on his website, and if you email him he'll send you the
URL for that one.