POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : Bug Report!! : Re: Bug Report!! Server Time
5 May 2024 23:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug Report!!
From: Daren Scot Wilson
Date: 15 Jan 1999 20:38:31
Message: <369FA748.BE96D2AF@pipeline.com>
Steve wrote:
> I got the "funny feeling" that POV wasn't averaging the blur samples
> correctly.  ...<snip>...
...snip...
> (gamma_correct(color1)+gamma_correct(color2)+gamma_correct(color3) ... )/n
> DOES NOT EQUAL
> gamma_correct(color1+color2+color3+color4 ... )   / n

Ha, I discovered this when I wrote my first dispersion patch (not the
current one, which is simple and works, but one I wrote in 1997).   I
couldn't get images to look decent even when i wasn't using dispersion,
but i had changed all the COLOUR types to a 9-component array, and had
to change loops,etc.   Antialiasing, focal blur, radiosity, and other
features all went nuts.

Funny how this bug sat there for so long without notice.  Even though I
bumped into it, i assumed it was a flaw in my patch.

I hope all the usual people catch on and spread this fix.

--
Daren Scot Wilson
dar### [at] pipelinecom