POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A Lighting Question : Re: A Lighting Question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Lighting Question
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 12 Jan 1999 21:04:55
Message: <369BFF9B.ACC9CD44@istar.ca>
Neil Mercer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>     I'm trying to model (amongst other things) a LED.  Building the shape
> has not really been a problem, but now I want to be able to include a light
> inside it so I can make the LED light up (obviously).  I'm having trouble
> getting the light to look right.  So far it either floods the scene with
> light (i.e. too intense) or merely makes the LED structure look like it has
> a shiny surface texture.  What I would like is that nice glow that looks so
> simple and easy!
>
>     Also, at this stage I've been colouring the LED itself and using a white
> (or near-white light).  Would it be better to have a clear LED and a
> coloured light?

May I reccomend not trying to make a light in the bulb. instead, make the bulb
with a high ambiant level, so it looks lit (without any light source) then place
the coloured source inside, with the bulb set to "No Shadow" so the light will
shine through. Works much better than trying to get the bulb to actually filter
the light, which is terrible to get to look right...

Also, for a glow you might want to play around with the lens flares, or for just
emitted light, set a fade distance so it will light up just the nearby
neighborhood, and not the entire scene.

If this is confusing (not good at explaining things :)  I can make up a little
.mdl with this example.....

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet