POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Local Transformations : Re: Local Transformations Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Local Transformations
From: Julius Klatte
Date: 7 Jan 1999 19:15:13
Message: <36954e11.0@news.povray.org>
What you need to do is FIRST translate the object so its position
becomes <1,0,0> and THEN rotate it around the y-axis. (Of course you can
also first rotate and then translate the object using
translate <translation along 'own x-axis'*cos(radians(rotation around
y)),0,translation sin(radians(rotation around y))> (which for 45 deg
would come to <0.71,0,0.71>) but that's a little more complicated.

Julius

http://surf.to/jkhome
United Artists Galleries: http://surf.to/uagalleries
Maybe I am missing something.
    If you have an object that is positioned at <0,0,0> and is rotated
45 degrees on the Y axis, then translate it 1 unit on the X axis, won't
it be located at <1,0,0>???

    What I was wanting to do is translate that same object (with it's
rotated axis), 1 unit on it's own X axis.

    The approximate coordinates would become < 0.71, 0,  0.71> instead
of <1,0,0>

    Bob Hughes wrote:

    You're hardly an idiot.
        "Ronald L. Parker" wrote:

        > On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:56:08 -0800, Tony Vigil
<tvi### [at] emc-inccom>
        > wrote:
        >
        > >Is there any way to do local transformations based on an
object's
        > >current scale, position & rotation?  (i.e. a translation on
an object's
        > >X axis as apposed to the origin's X axis)
        > >
        > >If there isn't currently a way to do this, is there enough
interest for
        > >someone to create a patch?
        >
        > Maybe I'm an idiot, but if you can't just put the translate
along the
        > X axis in before whatever transformation moved it to the new
position,
        > how is the software going to know what you thought the X axis
was?

        --
         omniVERSE: beyond the universe
        =Bob