POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Local Transformations : Re: Local Transformations Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Local Transformations
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Jan 1999 15:43:39
Message: <36951c7b.0@news.povray.org>
In article <369512B3.B9F1079D@emc-inc.com> , Tony Vigil <tvi### [at] emc-inccom>  wrote:

>Maybe I am missing something.

No, you aren't missing something, you just did not read the docs! See section
4.3.1.3.

>If you have an object that is positioned at <0,0,0> and is rotated 45 degrees
>on the Y axis, then translate it 1 unit on the X axis, won't it be located at
><1,0,0>???

So your code would look like:
rotate <0,45,0>
translate <1,0,0>

>What I was wanting to do is translate that same object (with it's rotated
>axis), 1 unit on it's own X axis.
>
>The approximate coordinates would become < 0.71, 0,  0.71> instead of <1,0,0>

Did you consider (after reading the docs) to write:
translate <1,0,0>
rotate <0,45,0>

It will do what you want - and reading the docs will surely show you some other
features you don't even know about! :-)

    Thorsten