POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Calculating a mesh from a blob : Re: Calculating a mesh from a blob Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating a mesh from a blob
From: Ron Parker
Date: 4 Jan 1999 14:29:25
Message: <36911695.0@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 03 Jan 1999 18:40:43 -0800,
	Matthew Corey Brown - XenoArch <xen### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
>look at the pov source as long as you don't copy the code just the
>algorithm, it should help you in the right direction. In general the
>algorithm isn't copyrighted just the code itself. Though the blob speed
>ups probably are. (Though those are so confusing to me) If your going to
>do this for windows you may want to look at the gui extensions legal
>ease to see if you can comply to that and then just use povrays own
>functions. Not sure if it would be allowed though.

GUI extensions are forbidden to access POV-Ray through any but the
documented interfaces.  Access to object intersection functions is
not part of that interface.

There is an equation for blobs; they could be treated as isosurfaces,
following the general algorithm on R. Suzuki's web page.  Or, you can
use something like Marching Cubes to find the interior surfaces as a
triangle mesh; see the comp.graphics.algorithms FAQ parts 5.10 and 5.11
for more info, references, and links, including patent restrictions:
(I've had to separate this URL onto two lines to keep it under 80
characters as my posting software requires; the clever reader will know
how to fix it.)

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/
graphics/algorithms-faq/faq.html