POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : comments on voting : Games : Re: comments on voting : Games Server Time
27 Jul 2024 16:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: comments on voting : Games
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 3 Jan 1999 22:44:37
Message: <36903920.5D62BD6D@flash.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> There's probably good counsel in your post, Dan.
>
> In the Stills, I usually give 20-20-20's to my favorite, and probably >16-16-16 to
six or eight of my other favorites. And I
> do differentiate, especially among the top 12 or so, between excellent scores in the
different categories: one might be
> 20-15-14 and another 14-15-20.  In that Animations round,  I think I gave Pool Shark
close to 20-20-20,  but I don't feel that
> I "stuffed the ballot box."  I'm sure I gave >16-16-16 to two or three others,
notably Rusty's Late.I've never done the math,
> but I suspect that I give out a uniform distribution of rankings, from near 0-0-0 to
near 20-20-20.  I'm wondering if from
> your post, you typically give out a normal distribution centered around 10-10-10,
with just one or two 20-20-20's  per year.

Well, to be honest, my post was way too harsh.  To be fair, the rules
are intentionally vague on voting policy.  20-20-20's are your perogative.

I think all that can be asked is that the categories are honored -- that
a 20 "concept" not be given because an image has good technical content.

I've never given a 20-20-20.  I've given only a single 20 technical vote
ever ( Howard Day's "Canyon" animation, which I thought was in all ways
excellent technically, but fell somewhat shorter in concept, and thus
wasn't the top ranked overall animation that round.  It also wasn't
20 artistically. ).  I don't recall ever voting 20 in concept or art.
I've given out a few 19's each round.

My votes work out to an 11-12 mean, with sigma near 3.... this makes
20's and 1's quite rare (a fraction of a percent).

> I felt guilty about my vote, as I was sure some voters would be swept away by its
"looking just like
> a photograph."

A photograph of clones, perhaps :).

I don't think you need to feel guilty on this one.

> Perhaps one solution to "rogue voters" is for the IRTC staff to put more "experts"
in the voting list for Animations,
> especially if we're only getting 10-15 entries.

If expertise was required for animation voting, I'd be first on the chopping block :).

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/