POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Anti-aliasing in pov 3.0 : Re: Anti-aliasing in pov 3.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anti-aliasing in pov 3.0
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 31 Dec 1998 15:37:24
Message: <368BE061.904AE379@aol.com>
To clarify further (confuse?), the contrasting parts of a image is the
major factor. Anti-aliasing isn't simply a blurring of all pixels,
rather a test of color at a point and surrounding points based upon
amount of "depth" (+R3 is default, +AM2 causes this to be +R4 as I
understand it) which is a grid of test pixels. When the colors are
closer in contrast (light-gray next to medium-gray) they should be
skipped over by the blending routine and if they are higher contrasting
(white next to black) pixels should get more attention to blending.
  Frankly, I'm not positive myself of the true nature of the
anti-aliasing POV-Ray is doing. I have seen high contrast not do well
with lower +A and have usually applied more +R to get better results
instead even though it stands to reason that a very low +A would be key.
Think the thing to do is make a few tests on this and try to see some
in-use results.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob