POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : [NOTE] UDO importing problems : [NOTE] UDO importing problems Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  [NOTE] UDO importing problems
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 30 Dec 1998 04:19:26
Message: <3689f146.4502834@194.174.214.110>
Some users have reported problems with importing UDO files. The
problem was that the wireframe looked distorted, wavy but rendered
correctly.

I just checked the Helixir UDO output myself and found what the
problem is, at least on my setup.

Helixir produced an UDO file that contained numbers that used the
comma as the decimal point. i.e. 43,60 instead of 43.60. Importing
this UDO leads to wavy wireframe representation (no decimal places
read). I could not render this, because POV-Ray did not like the
commas either. After changing the commas to periods in the UDO and INC
files it rendered and was displayed correctly.

I assume that this is a machine locale problem, since in Germany the
comma is the 'normal' decimal point. I assume that Helixir and Elefont
are writing out their numbers with a standard Win API function that
uses the locale info.

Unfortunately neither POV-Ray nor Moray use locale-sensitive input
functions.

Anyone that is having UDO import problems, please check whether this
could be the cause.

The next maintenance release (due today or tomorrow) will read commas
in decimal numbers in UDOs. But this still doesn't solve the problem
with the INC files.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray