POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Visual C++ 5 question : Re: Visual C++ 5 question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C++ 5 question
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 27 Dec 1998 23:05:03
Message: <36880251.211371202@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:49:21 -0600, Mike <Ama### [at] aolcom> wrote:

>I take that to mean that there's not much to be gained from getting the
>service pack, unless I'm experiencing problems with the program.  That's
>a relief, since I really didn't feel like downloading it anyway. :)

Actually, there's a really good reason for getting the service pack.
If you get it, you can turn on global optimizations for lighting.c by
taking out the misguided kludge someone on the POV-Team put in there.
If you compile that code on the original VC5, it locks up the
compiler.

Yes, in case anyone cares, I was QUITE upset to see that there.
Kludging the code to work around a no-longer-relevant bug in a single
compiler is not the right way to program.  Perhaps a big comment at
the top that says "If you can't compile this, get SP3 or upgrade to
VC6" would be a bit more friendly to those of us who have done so.