POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Visual C++ 5 question : Re: Visual C++ 5 question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C++ 5 question
From: povray org admin team
Date: 28 Dec 1998 10:47:17
Message: <3687a7e3.51100078@news.povray.org>
Mike <Ama### [at] aolcom> wrote:

>I'm pretty happy with VC++ though, and I don't have any reason to get
>another compiler.  Programming is merely a hobby for me.  I find the
>code to be fast now that I turned debugging off for the final compile. I
>did a quick test on a scene with some media, height fields, fog, and a
>few other things.
>
>VC++ - 2 minutes 29 seconds
>Watcom - 2 minutes 30 seconds.

try to do a longer test, as parse time can skew the results. our observations
is that VC or Borland are significantly faster at parsing than Watcom (probably
due to some slow routine in the Watcom run-time library, maybe malloc or some
such). but the actual render should be significantly faster using watcom.