POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Visual C++ 5 question : Re: Visual C++ 5 question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C++ 5 question
From: Mike
Date: 27 Dec 1998 15:50:13
Message: <36873801.7854297@aol.com>
I take that to mean that there's not much to be gained from getting the
service pack, unless I'm experiencing problems with the program.  That's
a relief, since I really didn't feel like downloading it anyway. :)

I'm pretty happy with VC++ though, and I don't have any reason to get
another compiler.  Programming is merely a hobby for me.  I find the
code to be fast now that I turned debugging off for the final compile. I
did a quick test on a scene with some media, height fields, fog, and a
few other things.

VC++ - 2 minutes 29 seconds
Watcom - 2 minutes 30 seconds.

I'm not pretending to know enough to claim if one is better than the
other, but I do see this as an indication that the compiler does a
satisfactory job of making the executable.

-Mike