POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Visual C++ 5 question : Re: Visual C++ 5 question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C++ 5 question
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Dec 1998 13:13:00
Message: <3685272c.0@news.povray.org>
In article <36857A6E.8C4ED8EE@aol.com> , Mike <Ama### [at] aolcom>  wrote:

>I know that this isn't directly related to POV-Ray, but I was wondering
>if there would be any advantage to getting service pack 3 for VC++ 5?
>Since it is around 90 megs I'd rather not bother with it unless it would
>provide for better executables.
>
>I hope to get a decent compile of the dispersion patch after the
>holidays, so I can use all the optimizations I can get. :)

Well, in case you are up for more speed the solution is easy: Throw Visual C away!
It is everything (e.g. buggy C++ support, slow, etc.) for big slow Windows apps, but
(nearly) useless for fast, well working (and compiling) cross platform code or just
learning *good* and ISO standard conform C++, hardly any example from books by
Stroustrup will comnpile at all - or you will find one of the nice compiler errors.
For speed try using Watcom, for (still) more speed than Visual try Borland or
CodeWarrior...but unless you are a student, getting more than one IDE will be a bit
expensive :-(

>I recently figured out the reason why I was getting slow code.  I was
>compiling in debug mode.  hee hee.  So I noticed there is options for
>pentium and pentium pro computers.  Does service pack 3 add anything for
>Pentium II CPU's?

It fixes a lot of bugs (only?), especially in the C++ support. I don't know about
speed improvements or P2 support - maybe this is only available in VC 6.

     Thorsten