POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Refraction? : Re: Refraction? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Refraction?
From: Daniel Hargreaves
Date: 23 Dec 1998 17:55:23
Message: <368175D2.41321785@mpiarch.com>
Alex Magidow wrote:

> If I am not mistaken, ior stands for "Index of Refraction".
>
> Daniel Hargreaves wrote:
>
> > I have been using Glass 3 (the same setting from POV, not the ones
> > provided with Moray). I have noticed that the IOR has been moved inside
> > of the interior statement, but where has refraction gone to? My glass
> > spheres have taken a very different personality, which I just don't like
> > as much. I guess my question is what do I need to do to get moray 3.1 to
> > do glass spheres like moray 3.0?
> ><SNIP>

You are correct IOR does stand for "Index of Refraction". The problem is when
you turn refraction on or set it to a value, you get a very different effect
with the glass. I have included 2 small JPGs to show with and without the POV
refraction setting. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'with_ref.jpg' (40 KB) Download 'wo_ref.jpg' (46 KB)

Preview of image 'with_ref.jpg'
with_ref.jpg

Preview of image 'wo_ref.jpg'
wo_ref.jpg