POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Height Field with Image Map texture : Re: Height Field with Image Map texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field with Image Map texture
From: Ken
Date: 21 Dec 1998 19:08:28
Message: <367EE2A7.338B@pacbell.net>
Jaen G. wrote:

> Hi-I'm just interested in what kind of texture results from this process
> using a photo before I experiment-  are your results actually like an
> emboss or better?
> Previously when I have heard the }best people{ using heightfields of
> their faces - I just assumed it was a real anachronism - resulting in a
> merely exaggerated mountainous landscape.  Could I be missing
> something:?)
> Jaen

Experiment away. You can use all kinds of images to create
height fields and you are not limited to making just mountains.
I have used random noise to create grass, cropped images of
a face for a face shaped mountain, cropped a group of fairies
from a fine arts photo, recreated them using a height field,
and placed them in a forrest setting. The possibilities are
endless but the learning curve is a little steep. Best bet is
to just start playing around and see what you can come up
with. A hint to get you going - start with grey scale converted
images rather than the color version. Use the color version
as an image map later for the pigment.

--
 Ken Tyler

 tyl### [at] pacbellnet