POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : HELP PLEASE - Rendering time : Re: HELP PLEASE - Rendering time Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:29:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP PLEASE - Rendering time
From: Chris Maryan
Date: 19 Dec 1998 16:48:03
Message: <367C20A6.6681A256@geocities.com>
raven wrote:

> Hallo,
> I work with Rhinoceros as registerd user and with the Rhino I use for
> designing MoRay as registered user too. For rendering I use your very great
> program POVRay 3.0. This one is indeed very excellent in WIN NT4.0, all is
> O.K. But I have a little problem with rendering time. Now I render a scene
> with 349 objects, 7 spotlites and 4 AreaLights. On the bootom bar in MoRay I
> read these values: 66572 V (69%), 107636 E (63%), in "Advanced" window I
> have set: Memory in kB to use for Vertices: 3000, Memory in kB to use for
> Edges: 2000, Minimum number of lines to draw before refreshing 1000, Maximum
> number of lines to draw before refreshing 2000. The picture has size: 2048 x
> 1536, Antialiasing on, Radiosity On. My machine: Pentium II - 266 MHz,
> grafic card ATI - 8 MB, 192 MB RAM, size of Virtual Memory 250 MB, Free disc
> memory - 800 MB. I am rendering this picture 3 days and 7 hours and is ready
> 74 % only. On the bottom bar is remark 0 PPS.
> Please, would you be so very kind to send me some information about my
> setting and advice if it is all O.K.? Or I make some fault (error)?
> Please, please.
> All the best for you,
> raven
> stu### [at] iolcz

Welcome to the wonderfull world of raytracing. Using a raytracing
program like POV-Ray requires patience. All of your settings appear to
be fine, however, your description of your image suggests that it is
quite complex and that you are rendering it at a very high resolution.
Using many light sources (7 spotlights and several area lights is quite
a few, see if you can do it with less) and things like reflection and
refraction will slow the rendering process. Also, the resolution that
you are using is quite high, I'm not sure what this image will be used
for, but you might consider lowering it if it will just be displayed on
the screen and not printed. 3 days is not a very long time for an image
of the complexity that you describe, there are people that regularly
work with povray and leave their computer to render the final image for
more than a week. To make your computer more usable, (assuming you are
using Povray for windows) lower the priority of the renderer (this
option can be found in one of the pull down menus), the image will take
longer to render but you will be able to use your computer with the
rendering being calculated in the background.

I hope this helps.

Chris Maryan
mailto:cma### [at] geocitiescom
***
Will work for cash.
***
Email me if you are interested in donating
to the Chris Maryan needs money fund.
We will also accept donations to the Chris
needs a Pentium II or SGI workstation
fund and the Chris needs a car fund.