POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media settings : Re: Media settings Server Time
3 Oct 2024 21:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media settings
From: Ken
Date: 17 Dec 1998 19:52:07
Message: <3679A6F8.76D1@pacbell.net>
Andrew Cocker wrote:

> Hi,
>     I sort of found a solution to the problem by using a cloud plane. I
> guess the problem is that sky_sphere's are so large. I'd still be interested
> to know if I was doing something wrong.
>
>     Thanks again,
>
> Andy

You are probably not doing anything wrong. The way
the sky sphere is implemented in pov is in a virtual
way. Think of it as a multi colored fog that exsists
everywhere a solid object doesn't. The way media is
implemented I suspect (and I'm guessing here) is that
the program is getting confused by the two similar yet
different functions and the media is winning the war.
I applaud yuor cure to the problem as it was what I
was going to suggest after reading your second post.
Fortunatly I decided to read this one first.

For a great tutorial on applying cloud textures to
planes and spheres take a look at:

http://members.xoom.com/POVRAY3/index2.html

Very well done tutorial with images and source code
available to learn from.

Ken Tyler