POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : What is the SuperPatch? : Re: What is the SuperPatch? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:33:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the SuperPatch?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 17 Dec 1998 13:53:18
Message: <3679531e.0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:44:30 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>Speaking of sphere sweeps -- What are the functions
>the process provides ? Is it similar to using a
>while loop for rotating and translating an object
>or group of objects ? I've been meaning to ask this
>question for a long time and keep forgetting.

A sphere sweep is a single object - not a process - that is the surface
represented by the boundary of all of the space occupied by a sphere if
it is swept along a curve.  This implementation also allows you to vary
the radius of the sphere as a function of time.  The result is that you
can create tubes and other such things that follow spline curves without
the limitations of tools like my torusspline macro.  By varying the
radius, you could even make something that looks a bit like a baseball bat
with just a single object (though if you're not using a lathe for making a
baseball bat, you should be hit with one...)