POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Caustics attempts? : Re: Caustics attempts? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caustics attempts?
From: Daren Scot Wilson
Date: 7 Dec 1998 00:37:10
Message: <366B31BD.756EE672@pipeline.com>
A certain Mr. Kopp wrote:
> and I've got some ideas on how to do it which turned out to
> be very similar to the "photon map" by Henrik Wann Jensen.  Jensen's work with
> photon maps seems to have been a success, both in terms of image quality and in
> rendering speed.  You can read about it at:
> http://www.gk.dtu.dk/home/hwj/
> http://www.gk.dtu.dk/home/hwj/papers/ewr7/index.html

Yes, nice stuff!   I was surfing for caustics research yesterday, and
came upon another project, by Steve Collins, for his PhD thesis that
involved a complete ray tracing lighting model, including nice caustics,
at http://isg.cs.tcd.ie/scollins/work.html

There seem to be several independent attempts to add caustics and
related effects to ray tracers - we should gather a list of all them,
summarize each put that on a web page.

I wonder if the POV-Team had considered caustics in the past?

--

Daren Scot Wilson
Member, ACM