POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Refraction bug(?) this time : Re: Refraction quirk(!) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Refraction quirk(!)
From: =Bob
Date: 5 Dec 1998 04:17:31
Message: <3668fa2b.0@news.povray.org>
Well, I tried a sphere in place of the plane and it does not affect the
"invisible" sphere like the plane did (make a refractive appearance occur at
that spheres surface).
If you tried this also, and got the same affect as the plane/sphere combo did,
I must have a faulty pvengine or something here :)
Sorry you felt you had to go into that lengthy explanation of inverse, etc.
(save for the others reading here), as I already know enough of that stuff,
only get confused while actually making something. Check my gallery out and
you'll see I've done plenty of csg, though I suppose I'm like many of us POV
users and am constantly at odds with the script writing. Much trial and error
always going on.

Well, before I posted this I decided to try a few other primitives in place of
the plane and guess what I found...
Ones that *didn't* cause the refraction "jump" into the test sphere:
box, cylinder, cone, disc, sphere.
What *did* cause refraction at the test sphere surface:
blob (made up of 2 spheres, just so it was typical at least).
Come on now, try this stuff out for yourselves. There is something amiss.

Anyway, I say again, the other primitives I've tried do not do the same
effect. So, suppose it is the infinite nature causing this? Or solely a plane
thing? I'm not going to try every possible object to find out I think, I'll
just wait to see what happens in the scenes I make and be surprised.

 ;|

Message <3667e9bf.0@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Mika  typed...

>  I think you haven't completely understood the plane object.
>  You say: "if other shapes in csg did this it would be a disaster". Actually
>all other shapes DO this. Just put a box or a sphere or whatever in the
>place of the plane and make it inverse. You will get the same effect.
>
>  Most of the objects have well defined inside and outside. Everything that
>is inside the surface of a sphere, is the inside of the sphere, and
>everything else is outside (this may sound very trivial, but it's important
>to understans). Everything that is below the surface of a plane is the
>inside of the plane, and everything else is outside.
>  Now, when you apply the 'inverse' keyword, this is changed: Everything
>that is inside the sphere surface becomes outside, and everything outside
>the sphere surface is now inside. When you make an 'inverse' plane,
>everything that is below the plane becomes outside, and everything else
>is inside.
---snip---

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe