POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Refraction bug(?) this time : Re: Refraction bug(?) this time Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Refraction bug(?) this time
From: =Bob
Date: 3 Dec 1998 15:46:06
Message: <3666f88e.0@news.povray.org>
Well, back to the problem at hand.
I was a believer, for a brief moment or two, that the ior was being dealt with
correctly according to the laws of POV-Ray then it occured to me...
Why was I never seeing same-such effect when using the other primitives, ie. a
sphere, causing all "outside" areas to be affected with its ior?
I tried replacing the plane in my example with one and it does not cause the
refraction to exist outwardly. Who already could have guessed that one? Most
anybody I suppose.
Now see how the plane is awkwardly doing something other objects do not?
That means a plane (or other things too?) is not following the same principal.
I understood the nature of them already, that they have inside and outside.
Guess that's why this caught my attention so much, if other shapes in csg (or
not, remember my example uses none) did this it would be a disaster since many
csg-created objects use an inverse to get the right construction.
A plane *is* capable of csg too, as many may know, by keeping the
inside/outside in mind, same goes for all the other primitives capable of csg.
Okay, carry on...
Btw, it's nice to have people here who can discuss this stuff.
Thanks all.

Message <3666E357.4309B895@pacbell.net>, Ken  typed...

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe